Tuesday, May 4, 2010

reflection on readings and class

I felt that I learned a lot in tongight's class. One thing I had to look up was what "Constructivist" meant in terms of teacher education. I do agree that Pacific uses this model, and while it feels different to me than the rote memorization/test/write a paper to prove what you know method, I do appreciate a different way of learning. Constructivist learning is described as being a more natural way of learning, where students aren't given a black and white right or wrong stamp from the instructor. Rather, the students themselves are encouraged to find his or her own answers based on prior experiences, knowledge, as so on. This is a topic I plan to re-visit a little later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    We will talk more about this in the coming weeks. That's great that you looked it up and it is an approach to teaching and learning that is common in early childhood and post undergraduate education (Masters and Doctorate level). It is an approach that is geared to the adult learner and to habits of learning that are self-directed and sustainable. I try to have a mix of both throughout the program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I called you Heather - not sure where that came from!

    ReplyDelete